It seems like ages since I finished this, but it's taken awhile for me to set up the tripod and get photos. I did manage a few today, but it was hard to get my hair and the collar where I wanted them at the same time. Maybe I'll take more photos later. I just wanted to get some while the irises were still here.
I truly love this jacket, but the sleeves fit a little tight in the upper arm. I didn't fix that when I tried it on before I knit the rest of the body because I wasn't sure I would have enough yarn. Well, it turns out I do---so here's my plan.
I'm going to undo the sleeves, holding the picked-up stitches on needles as I get to them. Then I'll redo the body, starting with the sleeves. I find myself wanting more yellow on the coat, so I'm going to do the cuffs in yellow, then knit the sleeve with more room in the bicep, then do the back, then reverse the process. I might see whether I can figure out a different way to shape the cuff while I'm at it. I love the shape, but not the little panel of stockinette stitch that comes before the end of the cuff (outlined in red below). It makes a flat place that sticks out ever so slightly from the ribbing below it, and I'd like to either extend it so it starts at the beginning of the cuff, or find an increase method that does away with it.
But this isn't going to happen right now. I have enough on my plate for the next few months. You'll be hearing more soon.
This is my unblocked version of Teva Durham's Palm Leaf Wrap.
And here it is pinned out for blocking.
Because my son keeps fish, I happen to know the pH of my tap water is extremely basic, so I dissolved a couple tablespoons of acetic acid along with a drop of gentle detergent in cold water to wash the wrap. I regularly do this with red and purple yarns to prevent bleeding because of our water's pH. This tip came from Jill Draper, when I had trouble with a dye that wouldn't stop running when rinsed in plain water.
After washing, I laid the wrap out on a couple of towels which were on a carpet remnant on our carpeted floor. I carefully pinned each lobe of the leaf and the two points below each leaf. I can hardly wait for it to dry.
The Manos del Uruguay Wool Clasica that I used is a slightly lighter weight than called for in the pattern. It's a thick-and-thin yarn (just what it sounds like) which I thought would lend rusticity to the design. It's also kettle dyed, resulting in subtle tonal variegation which adds dimension to the color. Plus, I just love the company and its fair trade values. Recently I've been trying to stick to buying fair trade or organic yarn.
It's not a sacrifice.
Hi! I'm Kangath---
knit designer, musician, writer, and mother
Click here to join the Kangath Knits email list
for insider updates and special deals.
Ruth Roland is a top Baton Rouge, LA music lesson instructor on TryMusicLessons.com!
Amy Herzog Designs
Knit and Tonic
The Sexy Knitter
Sheep to Shawl
Trappings and Trinkets
Two Sides of the Same Stitch